I’m in the process of developing an online White Bonus Estimator that will allow visitors with white parents or grandparents to tally their “white bonus.”
The Estimator asks:
- What’s your basic demographic profile: Race, age, gender
- What is your family social bonus: Of the public policies and private practices that offered whites material advantages after 1900, which ones did your parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents use?
- What is your personal social bonus: Of the public policies and private practices that offer whites material advantages today, which ones have likely shaped your life?
- Given the significant body of social science tying America’s lack of social provision to the racism of white Americans—notably, white Americans’ lack of support for policies granting education and health care to all, rather than requiring that people prove they ‘deserve’ it—what can we reasonably say racism cost you?
Then, the Estimator measures:
- If racist public policies helped your parents and grandparents offer you material support after leaving home, what is the cash value of that help?
- If racist public policies helped you accumulate money after leaving home, what is the cash value of that help?
- How much you have you spent on services that, if we had a functional safety net, would have been affordable or free?
To be notified when White Bonus Estimator is available, please subscribe to the newsletter or follow me on social media, at bottom of page.